Friday, April 19, 2013

Checking In

I haven't had too much to say lately.  The weeks fly by.  I go to work, come home, feed and water the children, repeat, repeat, repeat.

That's not entirely true.  I've had LOTS to say about the death of Robert Ethan Saylor, mostly on FB.  I've spent an egregious amount of time, actually, writing letters, begging people to give a damn, and harassing the national Down syndrome advocacy groups into, you know, advocating.  I even joined Twitter (I know! Collect yourselves) to help with the #justiceforethan campaign (which is what yesterday’s post all about), but I wonder at my efforts.  I wonder why people with a national platform and easy access to media, like Albert & Deidre Pujols, Jamie Foxx, and John McGinley, people who know and love someone with Ds, can't even be bothered to direct their press agents to draft something up.  Meanwhile my house is filthy, I'm neglecting my employer, and I'm short on sleep.  Thanks for being patient with me here.

I did manage, however, to provoke THIS response from NDSC.  It has sadly since been taken down, but will forever after be known as The Hallmark Plan and I'm insanely proud of it.  Let no one doubt my ability to poke the bear into revealing his true colors.
(not my picture but my screen shot had too much work stuff on it.
Not that I was on FB during work hours, or anything)

Ridiculous, right?  You wouldn’t think the working mom with two kids should have to join Twitter when there are not one, but TWO national advocacy groups out there, but this what we’re dealing with.
What else?
  • Matt is Catholic and The Boy goes to Catholic school.  I have a lot of mixed feelings about this but he’s getting a good education… and will be confirmed tomorrow.  There will be cake.
  • There is a special place in hell for the people who decided those felt communion banners should be “family projects.”
  • The news is so heartbreaking – that little boy in Boston with his felt communion banner.  I just can’t…
  • This is completely inane, but do you remember the movie the Peacemaker?  It’s a popcorn action flick but I still remember this line:   …there are people out there who don't care about money, who don't give a damn about respect. People who believe the killing of innocent men and women is justified. For them it is about rage, frustration, hatred... they feel pain and they're determined to share it with the world.
  • I’ve been trying to take better care of myself.  Right now that means I’ve been using my cheap wrinkle cream every night.  Such an indulgence.  Isn’t vanity a sin?  I bet The Boy knows.
  • A while back my MIL gave me her fancy Mix Master with the bread kneading attachment thingy and I’ve become a little obsessed with making bread – French bread, regular white bread, focaccia with pesto and parmesan …. mmmm.
  • I was ready-ish to run a half marathon last month but it was cancelled due to blizzard and I think I’ve put on my shoes exactly twice since.  So much for taking care of myself.  And I’ve been eating a lot of bread.  Maybe my problem is a lack of vanity (& self respect & self control)?  But in some dark & twisted way this meme has me newly motivated and I think I’m going to finally sign up for a full 26.2 miler.  Fuck ALL the bullies.  I was toying with the idea of running one to celebrate my 40th year but… um….  Anyway, if I run the local fall race I’ll only be 3 months late. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I joined twitter just for the #justiceforethan campaign as well. I can't believe NDSC suggested we send his mom a card.....ugh. Frustrated by the lack of response as well and feeling defeated, but I will keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so tough, and now I need to start following you on Twitter (I'm ON Twitter, but that means I log in every two or three weeks--short statements are incredibly challenging for me, so Twitter isn't my ideal medium).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this update. I don't understand Twitter, by the way, but I loved the campaign. :)

    ReplyDelete